History of Douglas Autotech Corporation
Founded in 1902
Warner and Douglas Corporation was established in 1902, in Bronson, Michigan by Mr. Warner and Mr. Harry Douglas.
Growth with American Automotive Industries
Mr. Douglas was a friend of Mr. Henry Ford who established Ford Motor Company. Douglas had been supplying various kinds of automotive component parts to Ford, including electric component parts and steering columns.
Douglas has been a manufacturer of various products including automotive, electrical light switches, sockets, ash trays, residential hot water circulators, appliance switches, gasoline engines, vacuum cleaners, console shifters, furnace stokers, roller skates, electrical fence chargers, battery chargers, console radios and components, and marine cylinders.
Steering Column Business from 1955
Douglas started to make steering columns in 1955 for Ford passenger cars, introduced the first tilt and telescopic steering column in 1986, and single-lever-type tilt and telescoping steering column in 1991 for heavy-duty trucks.
Douglas started to supply its automotive steering columns and intermediate shafts to CAMI (General Motors/Suzuki joint venture company located in Ingersoll, Ontario, Canada) in October, 1990. Also, Douglas introduced the tilt and telescoping steering column with gas spring tilt mechanism for agriculture tractors in 1992. Douglas is a major supplier of steering columns to the truck, agriculture, and off-highway equipment manufacturers.
- 1968 Scott and Fetzer Corporation purchased Douglas
- 1984 The Orion Group (investment group) purchased the company
- 1989 (December) FFV purchased the company and sold 49% of the company to Fuji Kiko Co., Ltd.
- 1991 (December) Fuji Kiko Co., Ltd. purchased the 51% from FFV and now is 100% owner of the company.
- 1902 Warner & Douglas Corporation was established in Bronson,MI by Mr. Warner & Mr. Harry Douglas
- 1955 Douglas Autotech started making Ford passenger car steering columns
- 1989 FFV purchased the company and sold 49% of the company to Fuji Kiko Co., Ltd.
- 1990 Douglas started to supply its automotive steering columns and I/Shafts to CAMI in October
- 1991 Fuji Kiko Co., Ltd. purchased the 51% from FFV and now is 100% owner of the company
- 1992 Douglas (Bronson) introduced the tilt and telescoping steering column for agriculture tractors
- 1994 Douglas Autotech established new plant at Hopkinsville, KY for automotive
- 1995 Started supplying steering columns to Nissan/Ford (Quest/Villager)
- 1996 Moved CAMI column production line from Bronson to Hopkinsville
- 1997 Started A/T Shifter production for Isuzu (Rodeo) in Hopkinsville
- 1997 QS9000 registered; QW Steering Column and Shifter Launch
- 1998 Started to supply steering column for MMMA (Galant)
- 1999 Started to supply steering column and A/T Shifter for SIA (Legacy)
- 1999 Hopkinsville, KY Plant area expanded. Almost doubled
- 2001 Started to supply A/T Shifter for GM (Cadillac CTS)
- 2002 Started to supply steering column for KSU (Saturn Vue, Ion)
- 2003 Started to supply steering column for Visteon/Kantus (Nissan Canton)
- 2007 TS 16949 Certification received in February